The Writer’s Center provides www.writer.org, its subdomains, and any other web site that links to these terms (“web sites”) in support of The Writer’s Center’s mission to cultivate the creation, publication, presentation, and dissemination of literary work. By accessing the web sites, users agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions, which The Writer’s Center may revise at any time. Users are encouraged to visit this page from time to time to review current terms and conditions.
1. Copyright and Proprietary Rights. With the exception of user-generated content (discussed in Section 4), the text, images, trademarks, data, audio files, video files and clips, software, documentation or other information contained in these files, and other content on the web sites (collectively, the “Materials”) are proprietary to The Writer’s Center or its licensors. The Writer’s Center retains all rights, including copyright, in the Materials. Copyright and other proprietary rights may be held by individuals or entities other than, or in addition to, The Writer’s Center.
2. Authorized Uses. With the exception of user-generated content, the Materials are made available for limited non-commercial, educational, and personal use only, or for fair use as defined in the United States copyright laws. Users may download these files for their own use, subject to any additional terms or restrictions which may be applicable to the individual file or program. Users must, however, cite the author and source of the Materials as they would material from any printed work, and the citations should include the URL “www.writer.org.” By downloading, printing, or otherwise using Materials, whether accessed directly from the web sites or via other sites or mechanisms, users agree that they will limit their use of such files to non-commercial, educational, personal or for fair use, and will not violate The Writer’s Center’s or any other party’s proprietary rights. Users may not remove any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices, including without limitation attribution information, credits, and copyright notices that have been placed on or near the Materials by The Writer’s Center. Downloading, printing, copying, distributing or otherwise using Materials for commercial purposes, including commercial publication or personal gain, is expressly prohibited. Users may not modify Materials on the web sites.
All rights not expressly granted herein by The Writer’s Center are specifically and completely reserved.
3. Security. By creating accounts and passwords on the web sites, users agree to maintain the confidentiality of their login credentials and are responsible for restricting access to their personal computer and mobile devices. User agrees to use the web sites for lawful purposes only and will not participate in any action that will compromise the security of the web sites or damage the web sites and their content.
4. User-Generated Content. If you upload user-generated content (such as text, photographs, graphics, video, or audio) to the web sites, you are granting The Writer’s Center a limited license, or permission, to use your work, but you still own the work. Further, the rights to use user-generated content granted to The Writer’s Center are non-exclusive, which means that you can continue to use your content as you like including the ability to also allow others to use it.
If you submit any content to or share any material with The Writer’s Center, you will retain the copyright in your work. As the non-exclusive license to The Writer’s Center is only a permission for The Writer’s Center to use the content, you can also continue to use your content in any way you wish including using it yourself and/or allowing others to use it.
By posting content, including but not limited to comments, photographs, and links to external sites, on the web sites, and by using our messaging services, users agree to comply with all requirements and procedures for posting and messaging. The Writer’s Center does not endorse any opinions or recommendations posted by users or third parties. The Writer’s Center requires users to obtain all necessary permissions, such as a copyrighted work by another writer, before posting or distributing any content on the web sites.
It is strictly prohibited to post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, or infringing material that could constitute conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, a violation of privacy or publicity, or otherwise violate law. The Writer’s Center does not warrant that the use of the materials on the Site will not infringe the rights of any third party, and assumes no responsibility or liability arising from such content or materials or for any error, defamation, libel, slander, omission, falsehood, obscenity, pornography, danger, or inaccuracy contained in information within such locations of the web sites.
The Writer’s Center may discontinue any portion of the web sites at any time. It will not remove comments upon a user’s request. By submitting comments, users acknowledge that they may be posted on the Internet. Users grant The Writer’s Center the right to quote from comments in all media now known and hereinafter devised. By posting or distributing information or material on the web sites, users expressly abandon any proprietary rights in their comments, and such information or material may be freely copied and distributed by others without your permission
5. Purchasing on the web sites. The Writer’s Center has the right to refuse, limit, or cancel any orders placed on the web sites. Errors in pricing are subject to correction and may be adjusted at any time. Errors in order processing are also subject to correction.
6. Links to Third Party Sites. The Writer’s Center has not reviewed all of the sites linked to or from the web sites and is not responsible for the content or privacy policies of any off-site pages or other sites linked to or from the web sites. The Writer’s Center provides these links as a convenience, and linking to any off-site pages or other sites is at the user’s own risk. A link does not imply endorsement or affiliation with the linked site by The Writer’s Center.
7. Disclaimer of Warranties. Without limiting the foregoing, all Materials on the web sites are provided “AS IS” WITHOUT A WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE, COPYRIGHT OWNERSHIP AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OR OTHER THIRD PARTY PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. The Writer’s Center may update, change, or delete content at any time. The Writer’s Center makes reasonable, ongoing efforts to revise and update the web sites, but does not warrant that the web sites will provide continuous, prompt, secure, or error-free service, and assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions, including the inaccuracy of content, or for any damages or losses that users or any third party may incur as a result of the unavailability of the web sites. The Writer’s Center assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for, any damages to or viruses that may infect a user’s computer equipment or other property resulting from use of the web sites or downloading of any Materials from the web sites. At its discretion The Writer’s Center may discontinue or take down the web sites or any section or Material within the web sites at any time.
8. Limitation of Liability. NEITHER THE WRITER’S CENTER, ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COMPENSATORY, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (EVEN IF THE WRITER’S CENTER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO USE OF THE WEB SITES, CONTENT, AND/OR COMPILATION.
9. Indemnity. The user agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold The Writer’s Center and its respective supervisors, directors, officers, agents, and employees harmless from all claims, causes, allegations, costs, expenses, fees (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), judgments, liabilities, losses, and damages arising from or relating to your use of or operation of the web sites or any of its Materials.
11. Applicable Law and Jurisdiction. These Terms and Conditions and any amendments thereto shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland, without regard to principles of conflicts of laws. Any dispute arising out of, in connection with, or related to this Agreement shall be brought in any Federal or State court located in Montgomery County and the State of Maryland, and the parties hereby waive any objection that they may have to personal jurisdiction in these courts.
Whom To Contact If You Have Questions
If you have any questions, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
LAST MODIFIED: SEPTEMBER 3, 2013