APPLICATIONS OPEN SEPTEMBER 1, 2020
If you’re a writer or an aspiring writer looking for where to go next, The Writer’s Center Compass Fellowship is a great place to start! Our renewed fellowship program will introduce a new writer each year to our writing family, to help guide them along the next steps on their path, with $1000 in credits toward any TWC workshops within a two-year period, a $300 cash stipend, and opportunities to be published in The Writer’s Center Magazine and featured in TWC events.
No previous publication experience is necessary. Applicants must be local in the DMV area and be able to travel to Bethesda. Please attach the following in a single email submission, including your name on each attached document. Please submit .doc, .docx, or .pdf files only:
- A 1,000-word Statement of Purpose to Compass.Fellowship@writer.org. The statement should explain how the Fellowship will benefit you as a writer personally and professionally.
- Contact information for two references who can speak to your creative work and promise
- A work sample in a single genre:
- Poetry – 8 pages, no more than one poem per page
- Fiction – 20 pages or less, double-spaced, 12 point standard font. No more than one work or excerpt.
- Nonfiction (essay, memoir, etc.)N – 20 pages or less, double-spaced, 12 point standard font. No more than one work or excerpt.
- Screenplay/Script – 25 pages, standard formatting.
- $1000 worth of credit toward Writer’s Center workshops (to be used over a 2-year period, January through December)
- $300 one-time cash stipend
- Gift Subscriptions:
- One-year subscription to Poet Lore
- One-year subscription to Barrelhouse Magazine
- Publish two pieces (essay, book review, or interview) in The Writer’s Center Magazine (circulation 11,000)
- Fellowship award presentation/reception at The Writer’s Center
- Featured reader at one Writer’s Center Live! event
- Serve as a judge for subsequent fellowship submissions for 2 years
- Complete an evaluation form at the end of 2-year Compass Fellowship period
- Applications open: September 1, 2020
- Application deadline: midnight, November 1, 2020
- Winner announced: December 15, 2020
- Fellowship period begins: January 1, 2021; all workshops to be completed within 24 months
Please note that we will expect the Fellow to submit a written evaluation of the Fellowship on its completion.
Terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.